We welcome you to share the experiences of parenthood, childhood, and the unity that keeps our small tribe learning and growing.





Monday, December 29, 2008

Another Christmas Gone By...

Christmas this year held a little more magic for us. Knowing that the economy is headed in a downward spiral, we decided to prepare the kids by telling them that they would be receiving 6 gifts on Christmas morning; one from each family member and one from Santa. At first, (clear back in September when we started putting this idea in the kids' heads) Tarryn and Makade were very unhappy with the idea. They had been used to Christmases in abundance, the ones that put Mom, Dad, and Santa in the red. But Brandon and I were determined to start bringing their Christmas list down to realistic sizes so that if the time comes that we can only afford home made gifts, they wont be in shock or worse, feel ungrateful.

The kids woke up to see a Christmas wonderland filled with bikes from Santa, presents, and an abundance of snow outside.


Brandon's and my morning unofficially started at 2:50am when we were wakened by Corban who was having a mighty difficult time sleeping due to his persistent croup cough. I took the first shift and stayed up with him nearly an hour (which is difficult when you went to bed at 2am). Then, after Corban's cough medicine started kicking in, Brandon decided to sleep with him which benefited us all. (Okay, that may be a stretch for Brandon, but he got to rest his eyes.)


Smart Santa left Kellan a wagon instead of a bike

Our official morning started somewhere around 6:30am when Tarryn and Makade came in to wake me up. They went back into Tarryn's room to play while we waited for the Corban and Kellan (who both had croup) to stir. It didn't take long for Kellan, but because of Corban's rough night, he had to have a little nudging. We went down to find what joys Christmas had brought around 7:20am and found so much snow (and snow drifts) that you couldn't tell where the sidewalk met the road. Oh....and presents filled the room by a lit Christmas tree.

Makade showing us the new 'ride'

As we have done the last 2 years, we invited the kids' aunt Brittany and uncle Zane over to watch the kids open gifts in the early morning (and to take pictures since both Brandon and I are needed for other things). This always adds to the excitement and 'show' of the morning.

Tarryn patiently waiting her turn of opening her next gift (a Leapfrog Didj system). And pleased as punch that Corban liked her Hungry Hippos game that dad had already been asked to put together.

Corban would head back to Kellan's wagon filled with balls after opening each one of his own gifts.


Even though we had a 6 gift limit, I don't think the kids felt deprived in any way come Christmas morning. In fact, Corban got tired of opening presents, so he saved one until the next day to open. The hands-down winning gift of the morning in Corban and Kellan's eyes was Kellan's Ball Pit. *We've been cleaning up balls multiple times of the day since.* Tarryn, Makade, and Brandon are thrilled with the family gift we broke down and purchased; a Wii.

Corban, the wonderful doctor he is, was listening to dad's ear with his new stethoscope.

As for me? I'm very pleased with the gifts I received, but I truly had no want for gifts this year. It surprised me when I realised this early December, and surprised me even more when I found the reason why is because I'm perfectly content with where I am in life. What could be a better gift than that? What more magic could Christmas bring than a house filled with lasting happiness...with or without gifts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Santa on a budget. I never would have believed it until I became a parent. I guess he has to buy supplies for the elves to make toys too. I wonder what he does for a job in the off season.