We welcome you to share the experiences of parenthood, childhood, and the unity that keeps our small tribe learning and growing.





Thursday, July 3, 2008

A new kind of camp song

In addition to our ritual evening family prayer, family hug, family chant, handshakes and noggins; Brandon and I started doing things to get Corban's wiggles out before the prayer. This started with a simple stretch session then gradually went to a quick version of Hokey Pokey and now is alternated with Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes. So as we knelt down last evening to complete our tradition before bedtime, I was surprised Corban was the first one to softly start singing Old MacDonald in replace of a wiggle song. It was so sweet to hear him sing E-I-E-I-O with such reverence as if he were singing Kumbaya that I couldn't help but join him; and shortly after, the whole family was reverently singing along. Throughout the various verses of Quacks, Moos, Baas, Oinks, and Clucks I couldn't help but think of old times sitting around a camp fire singing and swaying to the music. And even though the song wasn't one I would've chosen, it was still a sweet moment that I get to keep as a memory.

No comments: