It's funny how perspective changes with each child you have. The first had her clothing pre-washed in Dreft, binkies were sterilized if they hit the floor, and there was a BIG first birthday bash with family and friends all around to celebrate. The second, we skipped the dreft and pre-washed with regular detergent, binkies were washed under the tap but not sterilized, but he still had a large first birthday bash. Then the third rolls around.... Why pre-wash at all? Wiping the binky off on the burp rag or (an embarrassing secret of mine) I've even stuck it in my mouth first. Party? Secluded and intimate with only siblings and parents of the birthday boy. I'm not certain why, maybe a big party just wasn't what I felt he needed. And now that number four (or "quatro" was what we'd call him in-utero before we knew the gender) is turning one, I'm not certain what to do. My heart wants to have a get-together; nothing huge, just close relatives. But will Corban (my third) feel bad later? Should this matter?
Then you've got the differences in first cakes. It seems that each one has been slightly disappointing in what I thought would be a big dig from the birthday child and the funnest, cutest pictures:
Tarryn didn't want to touch her cake and when I stuck her hand in it, she cried. (*The next day she was diagnosed with crupe so she is forgiven.)
Makade was a sport and took a bite or two but was done.
Corban didn't even get to touch his cake because he went for the candle and burnt his finger instead. (*Yes. I was the brainless parent who didn't think that one through.)
We are pretty certain that Kellan's appreciation of food will help him to go far in the cake smearing, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
So whether there will be a small party or a more intimate one, we will be welcoming Kellan to the wonderful world of being ONE with a cake and loads of kisses on the eighth of this month. Isn't having a birthday on 8/8/08 enough reason to celebrate? Family, expect an un-official invite. : )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment