As Brandon and I signed up for a new gym membership in July, we vowed that we would end our fast-food sprees in order to not only increase our health, but have a means in which to pay for the membership. We told the kids our plan, and they were not all that supportive. After I would finish my work-out, I'd pick up the kids from the daycare and they'd immediately start in on, "I'm starving! What's for lunch?" After running and working your muscles for over an hour, cooking lunch is the last thing I was interested in doing, so I'd give in and take them to one of the adored chains that can get your food to you within 5 minutes of deciding what you want to eat.
Obviously, our plan wasn't working. In fact, you know there's a problem when your three year old can spout off what he wants to the tee. We've even joked around about having him order his own meal in the drive through. "I want chicken, and fren-fries, and wrootbeer to drink!"
We needed a new plan, one that the kids would cooperate, and we didn't feel like it was such a struggle to keep up. I came up with the perfect solution! Turn it into a game!
On August 2nd, we started our game with the same rules as the quiet game, but with fast-food instead. First one to eat fast-food is out; whoever lasts a month gets a $20 bill, and winner gets a brand new pair of shoes, their choice(Tarryn has her heart set on some new Heeleys, Brandon has an Adida fettish, and I'd love some new runners). What is our definition of fast food? Anything with a drive-through window (minus sandwich chains), or anything that can be served to you in less than 5 minutes (IE, Panda Express, Cafe Rio, etc.)
Tarryn, age 6
Like most adventures, this hasn't been always easy. Brandon had a three week trip away from home! Do you know how hard it is to find food in an airport that applies to our rules? Running errands with the kids was difficult as well because I'd have to plan ahead and pack a lunch. But we've had some fun teasing the kids telling Grandma to take them to McDonald's on their outing, or saying, "If your that hungry, I can just take you to Wendy's" to which the kids reply, "NO WAY! I'm not eating that stuff!"
Makade, age 4
What has been the most amazing part of watching the kids, is their opinion of fast-food and how it's changed (Brandon's and mine as well). Makade was doing a school project involving cutting out magazine pictures and making a collage of things that he likes. I mindlessly cut out a picture of the golden arches with the logo, "I'm lovin' it." beneath, and he said, "That's fast food. I'm not putting that on there!" Tarryn found a picture of french fries and cut it out, "I DON'T EAT FAST FOOD!" was the reply from Makade.
Corban went from saying, "Mom, I want chicken, and fren-fries, and wrootbeer to drink" every time we were in the car, to, "Mom, I'm hungry, lets go home and eat." Music to my ears!
Our entire family is still in the running for this race. 41 days.....and counting! We've all admitted that we don't even miss the stuff and we all feel a lot better without it. I'm so glad we've made fast food a thing of the past.

No comments:
Post a Comment